Human medications and supplements pose serious risks to pets, and exposures accounted for many of last year's 180,000 calls to the Animal Poison Control Center. Heart medications are the most commonly eaten pills, said veterinarian Tina Wismer, but there are a host of others, including over-the-counter substances, that can sicken pets. "It only takes one extra-strength naproxen to kill a shih tzu-type dog. Ibuprofen can cause stomach ulcers and kidney failure in dogs and cats, and acetaminophen can actually cause the blood to change so it can't carry oxygen and cause liver failure," Dr. Wismer said.
“Companies are constantly making more and more palatable supplements and the soft gels for example are made from a gelatin which is made from cow hide, which might be attractive to an animal," said Doctor Tod Cooperman.
Dogs are more likely than cats to sniff their way into trouble. How an animal recovers after an accidental poisoning depends on its weight and what kind of medicine is consumed.
Just like with toddlers, make sure your pets can’t get into cabinets or jump on counters, protect medicines in locked cabinets and high shelves. Also make sure to chase down (vacuum up if necessary) those pills that fall and roll under beds and cabinets. Tiny paws can often reach them.